Voted the Most Admired Woman in the World (and beating out big names such as Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Malala Yousafzai, and The Queen), Angelina Jolie is a feminist icon. From being an Academy Award-winning actress, filmmaker, and director, to being a respected humanitarian, philanthropist, +10-year UN Goodwill Ambassador, and UNESCO Special Envoy, Jolie has proven herself to be a force while simultaneously possessing a remarkable sense of power and poise.
In honor of Jolie’s 39th virthday on June 4th, here is a look at some of her best quotes supporting ladies.
1. When she publically defended her medical choice to have a preventative mastectomy to reduce her chances of getting breast cancer.
2. And promoted women’s independence.
3. When she dropped this truth-bomb regarding rape culture at the End Sexual Violence in Conflict Summit.
“It is a myth that rape is an inevitable part of conflict…There is nothing inevitable about it. It is a weapon of war aimed at civilians. It has nothing to do with sex — everything to do with power. It is done to torture and humiliate innocent people and often very young children.”
4. And enlightened us on this important perspective on marriage.
“Figure out who you are separate from your family, and the man or woman you’re in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self because with that, you can do anything else.”
5. When she encouraged women to be free and accept themselves to have confidence in their choices.
6. And realized at a young age her true calling to shake-up the world…
Happy birthday, Angelina!
Cover image courtesy of Women in the World.